I can't believe it, but my little boy turned 3 years old this week (April 9th). That means he's 21 dog years! Another few months and he'll be older than me! I figured since it was his birthday this week and he has been such an angel this weekend, I would dedicate this blog entry to Riley. Can I just tell you how much I love this dog?! I know....I'm sure several of you are rolling your eyes or something to that effect, but just remember, it's YOUR choice to read this.
A little less than 3 years ago my phone was broken so I went to the store to get it fixed. As fate would have it, the phone shop was closed, but the pet store next door was open. I walked in just to look at the chinchillas (I used to want one), but there, in the middle of the store was this little fenced area with a bunch of puppies. It's true, our eyes met from across the room. I walked over, picked up Riley from among his bigger sisters (he was the runt), and he fell asleep in my arms. The rest is history.
Sure, having a dog has its challenges, but I wouldn't trade Riley for the world. Even now, he's curled up next to me with his head in my lap. I would be so lost without him. Today, I took my usual Sunday afternoon nap, and when I woke up, Riley crawled out from under the covers and came over and laid in the crook of my arm and just put his head under my chin. I LOVE it when he gets all cuddly like that! He's always doing something to make me laugh. He has so many great quirks. For instance, he'll play fetch for a while, then he'll just stop, take his stuffed animal (probably his tiger), and lay down with it in his mouth and start clenching his paws like he's massaging it. Also, Riley will do this thing we call "the bull" when he wants something, but he's not getting it. He'll bring his toy up to you and then if you don't pick it up and throw it, he'll start kicking his legs back, scratching the floor like an angry bull.
Riley loves being outside. It's SO wonderful to have a fenced in backyard. He goes out and will spend most of the day out there, running around the yard, but mostly laying on the deck in the sun. Of course, I get irritated when he wants to come inside and go back outside every half hour when I'm trying to study... He's a trooper, though. Riley is a good jogging/walking buddy and last year he even climbed to the top of Mt. Timp with me! I love hiking with him because he'll run along and then if he gets too far ahead, he always comes back to check on me, to see if I'm coming.
Riley is so protective of me. It gets a little frustrating when he growls or barks at people I have over. He has gotten a lot better, though. In fact, this weekend I had people over to watch Glee, and he made friends with all of them in no time. I was proud of my pup.
I could go on, but I'll spare everyone. I just wanted to rant about my pup for a bit, because he deserves it. I will have had him for three years in June. He's a big commitment, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. He has taught me so much and has been the best little companion I could ask for...at least until that eternal companion-to-be of mine shows up. I really hope I find a man who can love Riley as much as I do, or who will at least understand how much he's a part of me. I know there are a lot of guys who could care less about dogs, especially little ones, but I really hope there's at least one who has a soft spot in his heart for both Riley and me!
I know someone who loves Riley just like you. Why else would I fly BOTH of you home for a visit. I really miss you, Becky.
ReplyDelete