It begins....
I'm three days into grad school now and it has become apparent that I'm going to need an outlet to vent. I've decided a blog is just the place to do that because I can share it with others, who can read it if they want or if they don't want to listen to me rant, they can choose to stop reading. Technology today...brilliant.
My major is a master's in health education. In a nut shell, it'll prepare me to be a health educator in schools, hospitals, the community and/or in coporations. I have three classes this semester (10 credits). I'm hoping this isn't too much for my first semester, but I'm not working, so hopefully I can manage. Also, I'll have the worst of the load out of the way, so the rest of grad school will be a breeze....(right?)
First class: Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription (MWF 9:30):
I show up on Monday morning, scared out of my mind. Fortunately, this class is an upper-level undergrad class and is similar to one I already took at KSU, so I think I can handle it. I debated that first day about whether or not to switch out of it and see if I could substitute a different class that I'd never had before, but I was told it was a fun class and let's face it....it has been over two years since I took the other one and I could definitely use the refresher course. Plus, with all the hardcore jocks in the class and all the talk about the importance of exercise, maybe I'll figure out a better game plan for myself. So far this semester, I've just been doing TaeBo and I managed to sneak into the fieldhouse for some jogging. PS. I didn't realize how spoiled I was at Kstate and how much better their facilities are. I should have taken more advantage of our rec center, because the options here are lousy that I can tell. I haven't explored too much for fear of exposing myself as the clueless new student on campus.
Second class: Research Design (T 4:30-7:00)
If I don't live to see the end of the semester, look no further for a cause of death than this class. Seriously. There was one condition I had when applying for grad school--I knew I didn't want to do a thesis. Well, this class is all about research and everything that will prepare you to write a thesis. Great. There are only 13 of us in the class, at least five of which are doctoral students. A few are ladies in at least their 40s with multiple degrees. They started talking and immediately I felt like I was the dumbest person in the room. Then the teacher started going off on the syllabus and the course and I KNEW that I was the dumbest person in the room. Apparently our only real assignment in the course is to write a prospectus. I didn't even know what a prospectus was!!! She insists that we'll need to spend at least 6 hours a week on the reading alone. We need to read each chapter at least twice and take notes so we can take a lovely weekly quiz, which, from the impression I get of this teacher, will NOT be easy. This lady seems nice, but INTENSE. I've heard that this is the hardest class I'll take in grad school. It kind of has me wondering if this is really what I want. What the heck was I thinking? Oh sure....I spent years dreaming of the day that I could get out of school and what do I decide to do? Go back?! I must be insane.
Third class: Health Program Evaluation (W 1:30-4:00)
Fortunately, I was reminded why I am here....well, at least a little bit....today. This class is actually in my program and is taught by the program director, who, by the way, is awsome. Dr. Waite-Phil-is very laid back and easy to get along with. We are actually going to evaluate a real health program, called All Stars, in cache valley for the Bear River Health Dept. It seems like a lot of work, but I can tell it'll be really useful. Plus, there are eight of us that will be working together on it.
PHEW!
In other news, I have a new nephew, Jesse Calin Lee. He's adorable. Things are a little crazy over at Rachelle's place now with three kids, so I try to make it over to help and then I try to stay away to keep my own sanity. It's a tough balance.
Also, I got my Dec. utility bill today. I'm living in a beautiful new house in North Logan. It's great here; maybe a little lonely when my roommate is gone, but it'll be nice to have quiet study time and plenty of space. But it comes at a cost. $108 for utilities...each. Pick your jaw up, you look ridiculous. I know, right?! I don't know what the heck happened. I'm freezing here because we keep it at 66 degrees. I can't go any colder. It's not natural. I don't know what I'm going to do, but hopefully it'll be a lot better next month when there will be three in the house instead of two. Needless to say, I had a bit of a meltdown over that today.
I have met a ton of great people here so far. I've already been cross-country skiing (which is an amazing workout, ps) and had plenty of party/hang out invites and this weekend I may go winter camping. I'm a little scared about that. It has been wonderful to have people so open and fun to spend time with. Still, I am really really longing to spend time with someone I am comfortable with, who knows me and I know them already. My head is about to explode with all the names, degrees, jobs, and everything else I'm trying to retain. It's exhuasting. I just want to curl up on the couch and watch a movie with someone that I don't have to work to impress. A boyfriend would be nice........but I suppose I have enough to manage without opening that can of worms.
For those of you who are still reading, you're troopers. I'm sorry this is so long! I've been storing this up for a while and I haven't had many people I can really open up to around here, so the blog took the brunt of it. I figure, this outlet for venting may just be the thing I need to suvive grad school. Thanks for listening, blog!
I'm three days into grad school now and it has become apparent that I'm going to need an outlet to vent. I've decided a blog is just the place to do that because I can share it with others, who can read it if they want or if they don't want to listen to me rant, they can choose to stop reading. Technology today...brilliant.
My major is a master's in health education. In a nut shell, it'll prepare me to be a health educator in schools, hospitals, the community and/or in coporations. I have three classes this semester (10 credits). I'm hoping this isn't too much for my first semester, but I'm not working, so hopefully I can manage. Also, I'll have the worst of the load out of the way, so the rest of grad school will be a breeze....(right?)
First class: Fitness Assessment and Exercise Prescription (MWF 9:30):
I show up on Monday morning, scared out of my mind. Fortunately, this class is an upper-level undergrad class and is similar to one I already took at KSU, so I think I can handle it. I debated that first day about whether or not to switch out of it and see if I could substitute a different class that I'd never had before, but I was told it was a fun class and let's face it....it has been over two years since I took the other one and I could definitely use the refresher course. Plus, with all the hardcore jocks in the class and all the talk about the importance of exercise, maybe I'll figure out a better game plan for myself. So far this semester, I've just been doing TaeBo and I managed to sneak into the fieldhouse for some jogging. PS. I didn't realize how spoiled I was at Kstate and how much better their facilities are. I should have taken more advantage of our rec center, because the options here are lousy that I can tell. I haven't explored too much for fear of exposing myself as the clueless new student on campus.
Second class: Research Design (T 4:30-7:00)
If I don't live to see the end of the semester, look no further for a cause of death than this class. Seriously. There was one condition I had when applying for grad school--I knew I didn't want to do a thesis. Well, this class is all about research and everything that will prepare you to write a thesis. Great. There are only 13 of us in the class, at least five of which are doctoral students. A few are ladies in at least their 40s with multiple degrees. They started talking and immediately I felt like I was the dumbest person in the room. Then the teacher started going off on the syllabus and the course and I KNEW that I was the dumbest person in the room. Apparently our only real assignment in the course is to write a prospectus. I didn't even know what a prospectus was!!! She insists that we'll need to spend at least 6 hours a week on the reading alone. We need to read each chapter at least twice and take notes so we can take a lovely weekly quiz, which, from the impression I get of this teacher, will NOT be easy. This lady seems nice, but INTENSE. I've heard that this is the hardest class I'll take in grad school. It kind of has me wondering if this is really what I want. What the heck was I thinking? Oh sure....I spent years dreaming of the day that I could get out of school and what do I decide to do? Go back?! I must be insane.
Third class: Health Program Evaluation (W 1:30-4:00)
Fortunately, I was reminded why I am here....well, at least a little bit....today. This class is actually in my program and is taught by the program director, who, by the way, is awsome. Dr. Waite-Phil-is very laid back and easy to get along with. We are actually going to evaluate a real health program, called All Stars, in cache valley for the Bear River Health Dept. It seems like a lot of work, but I can tell it'll be really useful. Plus, there are eight of us that will be working together on it.
PHEW!
In other news, I have a new nephew, Jesse Calin Lee. He's adorable. Things are a little crazy over at Rachelle's place now with three kids, so I try to make it over to help and then I try to stay away to keep my own sanity. It's a tough balance.
Also, I got my Dec. utility bill today. I'm living in a beautiful new house in North Logan. It's great here; maybe a little lonely when my roommate is gone, but it'll be nice to have quiet study time and plenty of space. But it comes at a cost. $108 for utilities...each. Pick your jaw up, you look ridiculous. I know, right?! I don't know what the heck happened. I'm freezing here because we keep it at 66 degrees. I can't go any colder. It's not natural. I don't know what I'm going to do, but hopefully it'll be a lot better next month when there will be three in the house instead of two. Needless to say, I had a bit of a meltdown over that today.
I have met a ton of great people here so far. I've already been cross-country skiing (which is an amazing workout, ps) and had plenty of party/hang out invites and this weekend I may go winter camping. I'm a little scared about that. It has been wonderful to have people so open and fun to spend time with. Still, I am really really longing to spend time with someone I am comfortable with, who knows me and I know them already. My head is about to explode with all the names, degrees, jobs, and everything else I'm trying to retain. It's exhuasting. I just want to curl up on the couch and watch a movie with someone that I don't have to work to impress. A boyfriend would be nice........but I suppose I have enough to manage without opening that can of worms.
For those of you who are still reading, you're troopers. I'm sorry this is so long! I've been storing this up for a while and I haven't had many people I can really open up to around here, so the blog took the brunt of it. I figure, this outlet for venting may just be the thing I need to suvive grad school. Thanks for listening, blog!
If you ever want to take a road trip and come down to West Jordan just let me know! It'll be nice to be around someone who isn't James and who is from the homeworld.. hehe.
ReplyDeleteI noticed the link to your blog on Facebook and wandered in. I started grad school last May, and it was rough! I had two classes to complete in two months, plus was working full-time. I remember being amazed at the people in my cohort and thinking, "I hope they don't find out I'm a sham!" Turns out we were all thinking that, and now that we're finishing up our first year together are comfortable enough to say so. Do I still get stressed beyond belief? Yes, but reflecting on my growth over the last eight months is mind-boggling. Trust me, it'll be worth it. And trust me, if you'd asked me that last May I would have said the opposite.
ReplyDeleteIf I ever come up to Utah again we'll sit on a couch and watch a movie!
ReplyDeletep.s. you're going to be awesome in grad school.
We came home from Christmas at Bobby's mom's to our apartment at 38 degrees. We don't turn on the heater other than our space heater. That's why God invented blankets and snuggly pets!
ReplyDeleteGrad school is delightful. Just get to chatting with your professors, and once they adore you, it's a breeze. Seriously. Well, other than research... that part is always a pain, and I even LIKE research.
he he he he he he. Chuckly chuckle...(did I just write chuckly! woot. great word!) School's killin me this semester too...I hear ya!! maybe the whole curl up and watch a movie with becky thing sounds like a plan. One of these weekends:) I'm working on getting work off...HANG IN THERE!!
ReplyDelete